Blog: Set the Captives Free!
150 years ago, President Abraham Lincoln signed the Thirteenth Amendment to the US Constitution abolishing all slavery in the United States. Praise God!
Tragically, there are more slaves in the world today than ever before in history.
30 Million men, women and children are currently trapped in various forms of slavery including sexual exploitation, child labour, sweatshops, bonded labour and child soldiers, to name but a few. We cannot sit back and turn a blind eye to this horrific evil and injustice.
“But, what can I do?”
There are many ways for you to get involved in the fight for freedom. Here are a few things you can do:
1. Give Financially – Donate to an organization that is on the front lines working tirelessly in the areas of prevention, rescue and restoration in the fight against slavery. Some amazing organizations that I have personal experience with include: International Justice Mission, Agape International Missions, Not For Sale, NightLight International, Ratanak International,Exodus Cry.
2. Volunteer – Giving of your time and energy to a local or overseas organization is a great way to get involved, learn more about this issue and make a difference. Research the various organizations that exist in your area and get in contact. Volunteers are often hard to come by and are always greatly appreciated.
3. Educate Yourself – The more you understand about this topic, the more you will be able to help. Here are two incredible books that will open your eyes to this injustice and what part you can play in its abolishment. Justice Awakening: How You and Your Church Can Help End Human Trafficking, Not for Sale.
4. Spread Awareness – Many people don’t understand what an enormous problem slavery still is. They don’t realize that some forms of slavery exist in their own neighbourhood. Bringing awareness to these issues and how people can get informed and get involved can save many lives.
5. Pray – Pray that every chain would be broken and every captive would be set free in Jesus’ Name. Pray also that all those who abusing and exploiting men, women and children would repent and turn from their evil ways. Pray that all those who have been victims of abuse and enslavement would be healed emotionally, mentally, and physically. Pray that more people would stand firm in this fight against injustice.
Let’s finish what Abraham Lincoln started 150 years ago. Let’s set the captives free!
nks for sharing the article, and more importantly, your personal experience mindfully using our emotions as data about our inner state and knowing when it’s better to de-escalate by taking a time out are great tools. Appreciate you reading and sharing your story since I can cert scainly relate and I think others can to
Leave a Reply.
For the latest news and happenings in OEM, please bookmark or follow our RSS Feed.
Opportunities to Serve